Make your own free website on

Travel notes for horse breeders, equestrian competitors, buyers and sellers of horses.

US Department of Agriculture--Animal and Plant Health Information Service links
Peanut Butter Recall--March 2007
PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS--1-23-07 Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative-U.S.-Can-Mexico
PASSPORTS--How and Where to Apply for a Passport in the United States and Canada
Rhino (EHV-1) outbreak in Florida, USA; December 2006
E.coli bacteria Spinach outbreak in the USA--September 2006; followed by Lettuce E.Coli found in Oct
Info on International Diseases in the news
News updates related to Travel
AIRPLANE TRAVEL: What can I take with me on the plane?
US ANIMAL IDENTIFICATION POLICY--proposals includes horses
United States Laws
Info on the Flu that is "in the news"--Avian Flu
Other Misc. Health Info
Info and links on BSE ("mad cow disease")
US Department of Agriculture--Animal and Plant Health Information Service links
Transporting horses

In the United States, the US Department of Agriculture is the primary governmental agency that oversees all issues related to importations of animals and agriculture.  Generally, the head of the department is appointed by the current President of the US.  Laws, rules and regulations generally are initiated by the agency or US Congress.
Below you will find some relevant information that includes horses.  In particular see the link to the CDC (Center for Disease Control) and individual state information.
Some of the agriculture info might affect those bringing feed and hay to the US.
Note that some states are stricter than others, and see "Transporting horses" for some information on possible state by state concerns that might be temporary.
While much of this info applies to pets other than horses, some states will have similar laws for horses.  (eg. Hawaii requires a quarantine for dogs and some other animals entering the state, much like England.)> pull down menu to Travel information> select  traveling with a pet. Or Traveling to the US.


Pet Travel Page
This page provides basic information on domestic and international travel of common pets and other animals.

If your animal is being transported to another country, please contact the Veterinary Services Area Office in your State. (Click here or the link to bring up a listing of States and then click on the State name.)

Basic Statements and Information on Pet Travel:

  • Various U. S. Government Agencies have rules for pet imports, especially the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and units of USDA.
  • Neither USDA nor CDC requires a health certificate for routine pet imports, but CDC requires proof of Rabies Vaccination.
  • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requires proof of rabies vaccination for all imported dogs (Click here for CDC rules).
  • CDC also has rules concerning other imported animals. Please review CDC's Frequently asked questions concerning which animals can be imported. Animals mentioned on this page include, but is not limited to, horses, cats, turtles, bats, birds, snakes, fish, monkeys, civets, rodents, rabbits, and others
  • USDA will not permit some foreign substances such as native grass, soil, fresh meat, or vegetables to enter the country (plant and animal disease is the concern). Please review the USDA National Center for Import and Export (NCIE) website for more details.
  • Some countries require an Heath Certificate and or proof of rabies vaccination signed by a U. S. government official. To find the nearest office that can do this, please go to this website: (USDA State Offices)
  • If you are taking a pet to another country, contact that country's consulate or embassy for information A listing of consulates can be found at: ( US Department of State website).
  • The United Kingdom;s (UK) requirements for import of pets can be found at this website.
  • Information on European Union (EU) pet import rules (and pet passports) are at this website
  • Airlines may have various rules. If traveling by air, please check with the airline well in advance of travel.

Useful Websites:

  • USDA/APHIS State Offices
    (certain countries require Government officials to sign health certificate)
  • International requirements listed by Country:(go to page)
  • If you are taking a pet to another country, contact that country's consulate or embassy for information A listing of consulates can be found at: ( US Department of State website).
  • Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requirements on importing your pet.
  • APHIS Veterinary Services National Center for Import and Export (NCIE) of animals and animal products.

Tips and Facts:

  • It is a good idea to get your pet used to the travel container prior to travel. Also, we have heard that something that has the owners scent in the container will help reassure the pet during travel -- such as an old T-shirt that the owner wore for a period of time (such as overnight during sleep)
  • Most airlines that accept animals will have a website page with useful facts and tips about animal transport. You should read this page prior to travel. (Do a search on the name of the Airline, then when on page look for, or search for "animal" or similar wording)
  • Many Animal Welfare Organizations have information on pet travel on their websites. It is easy to find these organizations through a web search

After you have reviewed this page, if you still have any questions or concerns for exporting animals to a foreign country, you should contact the Veterinary Services Area Office in the State from which your pet will be exported.




Traveling to the US—this covers information on several topics, the most relevant being the USDA info at the end that is copied below:


U.S. Department of Agriculture  Web site
USDA, APHIS, places limits on agricultural items brought into the United States from foreign countries because many items can harbor foreign animal or plant pests and diseases that could seriously damage America’s crops, livestock, pets, and the environment.

APHIS requires that travelers entering the United States from a foreign country declare all:

  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Plants and plant products
  • Meat and meat products
  • Animals, birds, and eggs

Your declaration may be oral, written, or both and must cover all items carried in your baggage and hand luggage. If you are returning from abroad, you will be given a Customs Declaration form on which to declare your agricultural products. You will also be asked to indicate whether you have visited a farm or ranch outside the United States. APHIS officers inspect passenger baggage for undeclared agricultural products. Failure to declare any items may result in delays and fines of up to $1,000.

Agricultural products of U.S. origin, such as fruits, vegetables, meats, and birds taken out of the United States, cannot always be reentered into the country. These items should be declared upon returning. Consult in advance with APHIS inspectors.


This information is public domain information provided by the US government.




L.Robinson, agent
L.Robinson is a professional equine agent that markets horses for breeders and owners and finds horses for those looking for them.
For info on horses listed for sale link to:
Send Email at link below
This Travel website is provided free and for informational purposes only.  Every attempt is made to provide accurate information and reliable resources, however no responsibility is assumed for any errors or misinformation.

***Click here to E-mail***