Make your own free website on

Travel notes for horse breeders, equestrian competitors, buyers and sellers of horses.

PASSPORTS--How and Where to Apply for a Passport in the United States and Canada

Peanut Butter Recall--March 2007
PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS--1-23-07 Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative-U.S.-Can-Mexico
PASSPORTS--How and Where to Apply for a Passport in the United States and Canada
Rhino (EHV-1) outbreak in Florida, USA; December 2006
E.coli bacteria Spinach outbreak in the USA--September 2006; followed by Lettuce E.Coli found in Oct
Info on International Diseases in the news
News updates related to Travel
AIRPLANE TRAVEL: What can I take with me on the plane?
US ANIMAL IDENTIFICATION POLICY--proposals includes horses
United States Laws
Info on the Flu that is "in the news"--Avian Flu
Other Misc. Health Info
Info and links on BSE ("mad cow disease")
US Department of Agriculture--Animal and Plant Health Information Service links
Transporting horses

This page contains information and links on How to Obtain a Passport in the United States and in Canada.



The Passport Services Office provides information and services to American citizens about how to obtain, replace or change a passport.

A passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer. A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue or verify United States passports.

New Application for a U.S. Passport
To obtain a passport for the first time, you need to go in person to one of  9,000 passport acceptance facilities located throughout the United States with two photographs of yourself, proof of U.S. citizenship, and a valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license.

Acceptance facilities include many Federal, state and probate courts, post offices, some public libraries and a number of county and municipal offices. There are also 13 regional passport agencies, and 1 Gateway City Agency, which serve customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. Appointments are required in such cases.

You’ll need to apply in person if you are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time:  if your expired U.S. passport is not in your possession; if your previous U.S. passport has expired and was issued more than 15 years ago; if your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16; or if your currently valid U.S. passport has been lost or stolen.

For more information on getting a new passport, please click
How to get a passport.

Renewal of a U.S. Passport
You can renew by mail if: Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged; you received the passport within the past 15 years; you were over age 16 when it was issued; you still have the same name, or can legally document your name change.

You can get a passport renewal application form by downloading it from this site.

If your passport has been, altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail. You must apply in person.

For more information on how to renew a passport, please click:
How to renew a passport.



Passport Fees

March 8, 2005

Routine Services (Form DS-11)

Age 16 and older: The passport application fee is $67. The execution fee is $30. The total is $97 .

Under Age 16: The passport application fee is $52. The execution fee is $30. The total is $82 .

The passport application fee includes the $12.00 Security Surcharge, which became effective March 8, 2005.

Methods of Payment -

At Our 14 Passport Agencies -

Both fees and the surcharge are combined into one payment to the ''U.S. Department of State'':

  • Credit Cards – VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover
  • Debit/Check cards (not ATM cards)
  • Checks (personal, certified, cashiers', travelers'), money orders (U.S. Postal, international, currency exchange), bank drafts

Note:  If abroad, U.S. Embassies and Consulates accept the foreign currency equivalent, or a check drawn on a U.S. bank.

At our over 7,000 Passport Acceptance Facilities -

You pay the passport application fee and the security surcharge to the ''U.S. Department of State'' and the execution fee to the facility where you are applying.

For Passport Application Fee:

  • Personal checks, money orders, and bank drafts at all locations
  • Exact cash at some locations (verify with the Acceptance Facility)

For Execution Fee:

  • Money orders and bank drafts at all locations
  • Personal checks and exact cash at some locations (verify with the Acceptance Facility)
  • Credit cards at U.S. Postal Facilities and some other locations (verify with the Acceptance Facility)

Passport Renewal (Form DS-82)

You may use this form if your previous passport:

  1. Was issued when you were 16 or older.
  2. Was issued in the last 15 years.
  3. Is not damaged.
  4. Is submitted with your application.

The passport application fee is $67 .

Expedited Service - Add $60 for each application

For any service - e.g., first-time application, renewal, additional pages, name change

Additionally, to receive your passport as soon as possible, we strongly suggest that you arrange overnight delivery service for:

  1. Sending your passport application

  2. Returning your passport to you.



On this site, you can input your zip code and find the nearest Passport application offices to you.


Provides information for Canadian citizens and  persons living in Canada on how to obtain a Canadian Passport.

Passport Canada Welcome Page; contains links to English and French versions of the site. Page d'accueil de Passeport Canada; contient les liens la version ...




The Consular Affairs Bureau provides information and assistance services to Canadians living and travelling abroad. These services are clearly established in international law and, more specifically, under the terms of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, to which Canada and many other nations are signatories.


You should have a valid Canadian passport for all trips outside Canada. A passport is the only reliable and universally accepted identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada. Some countries do not require a passport for entry but do require photographic identification (such as a driver’s licence) as well as proof of Canadian citizenship (such as a birth certificate or citizenship card). However, this varies from country to country.

You are advised to:

  • Carry a passport for all trips outside Canada. Some countries require that your passport be valid for six months beyond your date of entry. Check the Country Travel Report for your destination to establish whether the six-month rule applies.
  • Complete the emergency contact information on page 4 when you receive your new passport. Passport Canada recommends that you provide the name of someone who would not normally accompany you.
  • Photocopy the identification page of your passport and carry this separate from your passport while abroad. Also leave one photocopy at home.

Passport Canada has launched an initiative called passport on-line. This initiative allows Canadians 16 years of age and older living in Canada to fill in the adult passport application electronically.

As of October 26, 2004, the U.S. Visa Waiver Program requires visitors from various countries to have Machine Readable Passports to enter the U.S. This requirement does not apply to Canadian citizens even if the Canadian passport is issued abroad.

Please consult the update on the status of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative for information on the proposed requirement for passport or alternate secure document (still to be determined) for entry of all visitors, including Americans and Canadians, to the United States.

To avoid delays and other problems that will hinder their return to Canada, Canadian citizens are strongly advised to obtain a Canadian passport prior to initiating international travel and to use their Canadian passport at all times for international travel. Before attempting return travel to Canada, Canadian citizens who do not hold a valid Canadian passport should contact the nearest Canadian government office abroad to apply for one.

Passport related links


Travelling in North America

Travelling with Children


Other related links

Visa Services (Canadian Citizens)

Dual Nationality

Loss of Belongings




L.Robinson, agent
L.Robinson is a professional equine agent that markets horses for breeders and owners and finds horses for those looking for them.
For info on horses listed for sale link to:
Send Email at link below
This Travel website is provided free and for informational purposes only.  Every attempt is made to provide accurate information and reliable resources, however no responsibility is assumed for any errors or misinformation.

***Click here to E-mail***